SBI or State Bank of India offers a number of services to it’s users including Internet banking. The latest addition to the net banking facility is the e-Cards or Virtual Card.
Until now, users can use the Virtual Card facility with the private banks like CitiBank, HDFC, ICICI. But now, SBI, the largest public sector bank in India, allows you to create Virtual cards for online payments. This guide focuses on how to create SBI Virtual cards, but before that, I would like to share some preface on Virtual Cards. Or Skip to the Guide.
What is a Virtual Card?
A Virtual card is a limit Debit card created for e-commerce transactions that provides an easy and secure way of transacting online without providing the Primary Card or Account information to the merchant.
Virtual Cards can be used at any merchant location accepting MasterCards / Visa Cards online, without any difference from a regular plastic card.
Why should one prefer Virtual Card over Credit / Debit card payments?
There are some major advantages of using Virtual Cards over Credit / Debit cards. As of SBI, here are those advantages:
- It reduces the risk of exposing the underlying Credit / Debit limit, as the Primary Card / Account details are not communicated to the Merchant.
- A Virtual Card is valid up to a maximum of 48 hours or till the transaction is complete, whichever is earlier.
- Card creation and online transaction are authorised only after successful validation of One Time Password (OTP) sent to user’s mobile during the process.
- Highly flexible, as it enables Bank customers to pay from any of their Internet Banking enabled accounts, having transaction rights.
Card can be created for any amount in round rupees. Card can be used at any online merchant site that accepts Debit / Credit Cards.
- Very easy to use. No separate setup or installation or registration is required, any customer having internet banking facility with transaction rights can create Virtual Card.
- No loss of interest as the Card is generated by marking a lien on the underlying account and the amount is debited only when actual transaction using the Virtual Card is completed successfully.
So now, SBI users can pay online services who accept Credit cards without using Credit Card, with the help of Virtual cards!
How to create SBI Virtual Card?
Follow this step-by-step guide to create an SBI Virtual card:
- Sign into your SBI NetBanking account and click on the e-Cards link in the main menu.
- Fill in the Card amount and accept the Terms and Conditions of SBI Virtual Card usage.
- You will be shown with the details like Card holder name, Account number and the Virtual card amount. Just click Generate button after confirming the details.
- SBI will send you a high security password on your registered mobile number. Enter it in the next section and confirm.
- Your SBI Virtual card is ready! Note down the details of our so generated virtual card i.e Card No, CVV & expiry Date.
How to use SBI Virtual Card?
- Select the payment option on the merchant website
- Now, select Debit Card / Visa Card from the payment options
- Enter the Virtual Card details in there.
- Next, enter your secure 8-Digit one time password (OTP), received on your mobile.
- After successful validation, you will receive SMS on your registered mobile confirming the transaction. After the transaction, the Card will be de-activated and cannot be used again.
You may see your existing Virtual Cards in the Virtual Card Details section and can also cancel a card anytime through the Cancel Virtual Card tab there on the e-Cards page in your NetBanking account.
This is it. Go on and use your SBI Virtual Card as you like. I hope this guide has helped. Recommended reading: How to change SBI NetBanking password.